Millions of tourists choose Turkey every year for a good reason. Turkey has some of the most beautiful beaches you can find in the Mediterranean. The Antalya region is usually picked as a favorite destination for its beautiful landscapes and sandy beaches.
The wide Patara Beach on the Lycian coast is a paradise of honey-yellow sand dunes. It's the longest and widest beach in Turkey and is also considered to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
In this guide, you will find all the important information about Patara Beach near Kaş, including what to expect during your visit, helpful information on entrance fees, and how to get there.
What Can I Do at Patara Beach?
The 12 km long Patara Beach is famous for its gorgeous sandy beach. It's characterized by its remarkable 500 meter width. With so much fine, honey-yellow sand, Patara Beach is more like a desert than a beach. This is what makes it so unique.
The surroundings are undeveloped and this reinforces the ambiance of this beach. Apart from a large beach café with quite a few seating areas selling snacks, refreshments, and ice cream, there are no large buildings.
Despite its popularity, this natural beach caters to vacationers who prefer quiet and seclusion. Thanks to the wide area, it's not a problem to find a quiet spot for yourself.
You can relax, sunbathe, swim, or build sandcastles with your children. The water is very clear and pure. The sea is shallow, which is why families with children like to visit Patara Beach. However, there are big waves from time to time.
Free showers, changing rooms, and toilets are available on the beach. Sunbeds and umbrellas can be rented for a fee.
During the golden hours of sunset, a very special scenery appears. You can wonderfully watch the sunset from the cliffs and take dreamlike photos with many sand dunes and the sea in the background.
Since Patara Beach is a protected area, it closes at 8:00 pm to leave the Caretta Caretta sea turtles that are nesting here undisturbed.
Attractions in the Area
The ruins of the ancient port city of Patara are located in close proximity to the beach. The ancient city is famous mainly for the fact that Nicholas of Myra was born here. Learn more about this ancient city in our guide to Patara.
Another famous attraction is the famous Saklıkent Canyon in Saklıkent National Park. It's one of the most visited sights in the area.
Entrance, Tickets, and Tours
How to Get to Patara Beach Near Kaş?
Patara Beach is located in between Kaş and Fethiye in the Antalya province. It's situated in Gelemiş village, about 42 km from Kaş.
- Public Transport: You can easily reach Patara Beach by public transport. For example, minibuses leave every 20 minutes from the Kaş bus station and go to the beach.
- By Bus: From the center of Antalya there are also buses that go to Patara Beach.
- By Car: Since the center of Antalya is 220 km away, getting there by rental car is a good option. There are plenty of parking facilities on site.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Patara Beach is open daily from 8:00am to 08:00pm.
Patara Beach is located in between Kaş and Fethiye in the Antalya province. It's located in the village of Gelemiş, about 42 km from Kaş.
Patara Beach can be reached by minibuses and buses. For example, from the Kaş bus station there is a dolmuş to the beach every 20 minutes during the season.
From the center of Antalya there are also buses to Patara Beach. However, since the center of Antalya is 220 km away, getting there by rental car is a good option.
Yes, an entrance fee is charged for Patara Beach. Sunbeds and umbrella fees are not included in the price.
Hotels Around Patara Beach
Since Patara Beach is a protected area, there are no large hotel complexes and resorts in the area. You will find family run hotels and more modest accommodations for every budget. Here are four hotels near Patara Beach.
1. Patara Caretta Hotel: This small family-run hotel is surrounded by picturesque nature. There is a free shuttle service, so you can easily explore the ruins of Patara as well as Patara Beach, which are about 5 km from the hotel. Address: Gelemiş Mahallesi, Gedik Sokak No: 27, Patara, Kaş/Antalya
2. Apollon Hotel: Apollon Hotel is located 3 km from the coast of Patara Beach. This quiet 3-star hotel with a pool and an on-site restaurant is a good choice for families with children. Address: Gelemiş, Patara Merkez
3. Golden Lighthouse Hotel: If you are looking for a cozy place to relax, Golden Lighthouse Hotel is right for you. This nice, small hotel with pleasant atmosphere is close to the center of Patara (200m), the ancient city of Patara (2 km), and Patara Beach (3 km). Address: Patara Merkez sokak no 39, Kaş/Antalya
4. Flower Pension: This is a budget-friendly pension close to Patara Beach. Here, you will find Turkish cuisine with fresh vegetables from their own garden, as well as a casual ambience. Also, if you love flowers, herbs, and trees, this might be a perfect fit. Address: Gelemiş Köyü Merkez Mah. 11 - 11/B.