In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Turkish government has taken special precautions to protect the health and well-being of visitors traveling to Turkey.
One of these precautions includes Safe Tourism Certified Hotels.
In this guide, you will find out exactly what this means, which health and security precautions to be expected in these hotels, and which hotels in Turkey are part of this program.
What Are Safe Tourism Certified Hotels?
In order for visitors traveling to Turkey and Antalya to enjoy a safe trip without worries, the Turkish Ministry of Culture and Tourism has launched a Safe Tourism Certification Program for hotels and other tourist facilities.
Public health authorities conduct health and hygiene inspections to determine if services are being provided in accordance with the regulations required by the Safe Tourism Certification Program. Only if all criteria are met, the hotels are presented with the certificate.
Compliance with all these precautions is regularly monitored by the authorities. In the event of non-compliance with the safety measures during regular inspections, the hotel's verification will be cancelled.
This certificate is intended to help ensure that travel and tourism in Turkey can resume safely while following necessary health precautions.
Which Hotels Have Safe Tourism Certification?
In Turkey, there are currently over 2300 hotels that have received Safe Tourism Certification from the Turkish Ministry of Tourism and Culture. Many more are undergoing the certification process.
Most of these hotels are 4 and 5 star hotels. But there are also 1 to 3 star hotels, as well as boutique hotels that are certified.
About 400 hotels in the Antalya region are Safe Tourism Certified.
Here is the latest list with all the
What Are the Regulations for Safe Tourism Certified Hotels?
Hotels wishing to obtain Safe Tourism Certification must comply with over 30 regulations, which are composed of many sub-items.
These regulations are designed to prevent COVID-19 virus infections and cover areas such as food service & food hygiene, room cleaning, swimming pools & beaches, training programs for hotel staff on hygiene, and much more.
The following precautions and safety measures are in place at hotels with Safe Tourism Certification:
- Food and Beverage Service: Instead of an open self-serve buffet, kitchen staff serves food requested by the guests using safety protocols as directed by public health authorities. Food in buffets is protected by a glass visor. Service utensils such as plates, glasses, and cutlery, as well as dining tables are cleaned with alcohol-based sanitizer after each use. Drinks from common beverage machines and similar devices are delivered by staff members.
- Social Distancing Plan: Seating arrangements in all public areas, restaurants, recreation activities, and meeting rooms, as well as lines for check-in/ check-out are arranged according to social distancing rules.
- Body Temperature Measurements: Before checking into the hotel, incoming guests' body temperature measurements are taken with either a thermal camera, a thermal sensor, or a non-contact thermal thermometers.
- Face Masks: Free face masks are provided at reception desks. Guests are required to wear a mask when riding in hotel vehicles.
- Disinfection Practices: The facility, guest rooms, restaurants, staff areas, and all other relevant areas are constantly disinfected. Tables, chairs, sun-beds, and equipment are regularly disinfected. Hand disinfection devices are placed in key areas.
- Guest Rooms: Guest rooms as well as the equipment and materials inside, including room cards, kettles, television, and air conditioning controls are disinfected after each guest.
- Beaches & Swimming Pools: Toilets, showers, and changing rooms in pool areas and beaches are regularly disinfected. A sufficient chlorine level in pool water is required.
- Spa Area: Special regulations for cleaning spa areas such as saunas, Turkish baths, and steam baths are required. The use of these areas is limited to 30 minutes. Humidity is controlled.
- Fitness Center: There are restrictions on the number of people allowed in fitness centers at the same time.
- Animation: Capacity at animation programs is limited to ensure social distancing.
- Written Information: During check in, guests receive written information about Covid-19 safety measures and rules in the hotel.
- Payment: Online payment and credit card payment are preferred over cash payment.
- Staff Health & Training: The hotel staff is thoroughly trained in hygiene measures and the use of protective equipment. They follow safety protocols as directed by the public health authorities. Body temperature controls and biometric facial identification are performed daily on hotel employees. All measurements are recorded.
- Disposables: Steps have been taken to ensure that the materials used are, as far as possible, disposable. This includes disposable salt shakers, pepper shakers, and napkins for food service, as well as shower gel, shampoo, washing gloves, and soap in guest rooms and spa areas.
- Kitchen Hygiene: A detailed plan for kitchen hygiene must be followed. It includes items such as taking daily samples of the food, a special cleaning protocol, and monitoring food safety requirements.
- Suspected COVID-19 Cases: In the event that guests are diagnosed, show symptoms, or are suspected of having COVID-19, a health authority mandated isolation protocol and contingency plan will be implemented. These include placing guests in an isolation room at the hotel. Hotel staff are trained to handle such emergencies.
These are the most important safety measures that Safe Tourism Certified Hotels implement and that concern hotel guests. A detailed checklist with all regulations can be found
All these precautions show that the Turkish government approaches the issue with great care, sensitivity, and seriousness.
Please let us know if you have any questions in the comment section below. Our team will make every effort to help you with any questions in order to make your trip to Antalya easier.
You may also be interested in these articles:
Guide to the PCR Test for Your Antalya Trip Get Your HES Code for Your Antalya trip Latest Covid-19 Precautions and Rules with updates for the Antalya Region
If you are currently planning your trip to the Antalya Region, don't hesitate to check out the links below for better choices on tickets and hotel deals.